Selling a Personalised Number Plate Privately
Personalised number plates can be extremely high demand items. People tend to love to put a customised touch to their vehicle and a personalised number plate is the perfect way to achieve this. Of course, there are certain word and number combinations that are extremely desirable on the market. Number plates that read common names are likely to be in high demand, as there are going to be a lot of people interested in buying them. Number plates that have popular words on them have a similar effect. Then certain cultures consider particular numbers lucky, so private number plates displaying these numbers can often see big demand too. With high demand can come high prices. Want a little proof? Well, the number plate “F 1” sold for £440,000, while the number plate “VIP 1” sold for £285,000! Now, you may have no interested in going commercial with this and selling private number plates for a living. However, if you have a unique private number plate you may be interested in selling a personalised number plate privately. If this is the case, here’s how you can go about it!
Think of Your Audience
When selling something, you need to put yourself in the shoes of your buyer. If you were going to buy a private number plate, where would you go first? It’s highly unlikely that a potential buyer offering the highest price is going to stumble across you in day to day life and strike up a conversation about wanting a plate that happens to match yours. Instead, they’re likely to go to a private number plate dealer. They will aim to get a quote from this professional. So, if you’re thinking of selling a personalised number plate privately, you’re going to want to get in touch with a dealer too! They will be able to act as a middleman in your transaction.
Benefits of Collaborating with a Dealer
There are, of course, plenty of benefits that come hand in hand with collaborating with a professional number plate dealer. The first is that they will act as a bridge between you and potential clients who have an interest in purchasing your private number plates. But there are more!
- Quotes - dealers will generally be able to give you a good idea of how much your plate is likely to sell for. They’ll have plenty of experience in valuing private number plates and should be able to give you a good estimate.
- Security - when you sell through a dealer, you get security. You know that you will receive money for your number plates and that you won’t end up getting conned out of your plates by a customer.
- Ease - when you sell your private number plates through a dealer, you will feel a weight being lifted from your shoulders. There’s a lot of paperwork and there are formalities that you will have to go through when selling your number plates. A dealer will do this on your behalf.
- Confidence - if you’ve never sold a private number plate before (and most people won’t have, as this tends to be a one-off type of transaction), you may find yourself worrying that you haven’t completed the process properly. Working with a dealer can give you confidence in the fact that the plates have been transferred properly and legally - and that they are no longer associated with you when they are being used by someone else.
- Time - very few of us have all that much free time on our hands nowadays. Finding buyers, negotiating, and actually selling your private number plate can be a long and drawn out process. Handing the work over to someone else means you can put your plates up for sale and not have to think about it again, receiving money as soon as they do sell!
Coming to an Agreement
Remember that you will have to give a share of your profits to the number plate dealer in exchange for the hard work they will have carried out while selling your private number plates. Make sure that you come to an agreement of how much this individual will be paid before getting started on your journey and before the plates sell. Some dealers will ask for a percentage of the sale. Some will have a flat rate. Some will be flexible and willing to negotiate. Whichever you opt for, make sure that you have come to an agreement early on, so there aren’t problems down the line.
Selling a personalised number plate privately can be difficult alone. But when you pair up with the right dealer, your journey will be made so much easier and more secure!