DVLA Private Plate Retention: Everything You Need to Know

Share this article:

If you want to retain your number plate but are unsure of how to do it then you’ve come to the right place. Here you can learn everything you need to know, including the fees to be paid and documents needed.

First Things First…

Before you do anything, you’ll need a V317 form. This is an application to transfer or retain a number plate, which you can download for free via the DVLA.

V317 Form

Completing the Application

Once you’ve downloaded the V317 form, the registered keeper needs to fill out sections two and four. If, as the registered keeper, you want to become the grantee then you have the option to. This means you have the right to the vehicle registration number.

However, if you don’t want to become the grantee, you can provide the details of a new one in section four. It’s important to note that whilst the retained registration can be assigned to a vehicle that is registered either to the grantee or the nominee, the grantee is the only one that has the right to the registration.

Private Plate Retention

How Long Can You Retain a Registration Number?

Whereas previously, you’d have to pay a retention fee of £25 a year, since March 9th 2015 there has been no fee to renew the retention of a vehicle registration number on a yearly basis. So, currently, the retention certificate will be valid for 10 years and you can renew it completely free of charge once it has expired.

How Much Does it Cost?

So, the renewal fee has been removed, but how much does it cost to retain a personalised registration? £80. This price is set for both online and paper transactions, and if at any point you wish to add or change the nominee details, you are able to do so at no extra cost.

What Documents do You Need?

There are a number of documents that you need in order to assist your application. You’ll need the entire V5C registration certificate (log book) as well as the MOT test certificate.

Taxation will be checked online by the DVLA or if you are applying for tax at the same time then you’ll need a valid and current insurance certificate or cover note that confirms use of the vehicle.

If, however, you’re a motorist, it’s unnecessary for you to produce your insurance policies when taxing your vehicles. Why? Well, instead, the DVLA has records which are compared regularly with the Motor Insurance Database.

So, now you know everything you need to when it comes to DVLA private plate retention. You can download the relevant DVLA forms here. We hope we’ve been of assistance!